In addition to the Pet Health Care Library, we have provided the following links to websites that provide some great information on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care.
National Animal Poison Control Center This is the website of the National Animal Poison Control Center. It includes a library, links to other sites, and phone numbers for the poison control center.
ASPCA Poison Control is an excellent resource in an emergency. They have veterinarians and toxicologists available 24 hours per day and an excellent interactive website with many of the most common household toxins. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435 for immediate assistance.
Plants Toxic to Animals, Introduction -- Vet Med Library, UIUC A lot of information about toxic plants can be found here. You can search under common name or scientific name of the plant
Local Links of Interest:
- We partner with The Animal Medical Center, Blue Pearl Vets (W 55th Street), and Blue Pearl Vets (Fifth Avenue) in Manhattan to provide the most advanced diagnostics and access to the nation's stop specialists. We have also worked closely with Animal Specialty Center in Yonkers, NY.
- We work closely with the Curly Tail Pug Rescue -- it's a joy to know that many of the pets we've helped have gone on to have wonderful, loving, lifetime homes through this generous organization.
- The NYC Center for Animal Care and Control, the Humane Society, the ASPCA on E 92nd St and the Mayor's Alliance have links to local adoptable animals and provide needed care for the city's stray and needy pet population.
- For boarding your dog or cat, many of our clients have been happy with Almost Home Kennels and Country Club Kennel. Many of our patients seem to have so much fun at these dog-resorts, it's as if they're going on vacation, too!
- Many of our patients emerge from Finishing Touches Grooming Salon looking their best!
- Some local artists that have caught our eye include Nancy Michaelson, pet artist, and pet photographers Jayne Silberman and Kathy Landman.
- Our most highly recommended trainers include Kate Perry (who also puts on excellent puppy kindergarten classes throughout the city), Jodi Anderson, and Don Higgins.
- We see some of the cutest dachsunds from the breeder Ms. Valerie Diker, look at all of her lovely dachsunds on her website.
- Many of our clients have been thrilled with their poodles from Cabryn Poodles.
- PetTaxi has helped our patients get around the city and between boroughs with ease!
Traveling with your pet internationally? This website is maintained by the United States Department of Agriculture and has links and articles about how to safely take your pet abroad.
National Links of Interest:
- The Morris Animal Foundation continuously pushes scientific frontiers for pet health.
- The NY Therapy Animals advances the human-animal bond with Pet Therapy.
- PetFinder has helped more than one client find that special "forever friend"
- The Indoor Cat Initiative has great information about keeping your cats happy and healthy indoors.
- The Cornell University Feline Health Center has many helpful links and videos about cats.
- For a fun training ideas and tips, try Clicker Training with your dog - a bonding experience for you both!
- A touching tribute to a beloved pet by Eugene O'Neill.
- Choosing a new puppy This is a nice starter guide of things that you should consider when you are thinking about getting a puppy
- Breeds of Dogs A quick reference guide to many breeds of dogs, including photos and brief descriptions of each breed's characteristics.
- Heartworm Society Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease can be found here!
- Behavior problems Founded by Brian Kilcommons and Sharon Wilson, best-selling authors and recognized experts on animal training and behavior, this site is a terrific resource for advice on a variety of behavioral problems. If you want to learn more about feline housesoiling, barking dogs, aggression, or any other behavioral problem, check this one out!
- Association of Pet Loss and Bereavement We have all experienced the pain of losing a pet. The Association of Pet Loss and Bereavement has set up this site for support during this most difficult time. You will find inspirational stories, grief counselling resources, hotline number and many other resources. .
- The Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) The Cat Fanciers' Association website has lots of pictures, as well as information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and much more. .
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service The USDA maintains this website with information on a variety of animal health related topics, including the latest news on such things as Mad Cow Diseases, foot and mouth disease, and many other things.
- American Veterinary Medical Association This site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of topics, including feline injection-site sarcomas and the latest subjects in veterinary medicine